Friday, January 10, 2020

Viking It and Liking It


As we begin exploring the reasons for European voyages across the Atlantic Ocean to the New World, we find ourselves first introducing the Native American people to Viking explorers. We're not only learning about Viking culture and motives for exploration, but how archaeological evidence offers us proof of their brief time on the Atlantic coast of the North American continent, how they might have spent their time while they were here and investigate deeper into theories as to why they didn't settle for very long. This week's guest bloggers reflect on their learning experiences and share their thoughts and ideas about how they are synthesizing their learning so far.

I used to think that Vikings were people that just used to fight, but now I know that they didn't just fight, they were very skilled at making things like longships and tools and that they were good traders. I think the reason that the Vikings didn't stay very long in North America is that they had a tough time adapting to the increasingly cold climate and they didn't know how to hunt certain animals or find resources to trade or to make tools and weapons that were needed to survive.      - "Rianna"

I used to think that all Vikings were raiders, but now I know that only a small percentage of them were actually warriors. I think the reason that the Vikings didn't stay very long in North America is that they didn't find enough valuable resources needed in order for them to survive for a long time.        - "N.A.S.A."

I used to think that Vikings wore animal horns, but then I learned that there really is no real evidence of that. I was surprised to learn that their helmets were actually made of metal and had symbols carved into them that told stories. I think the reason that the Vikings didn't stay very long in North America is that the Native Americans didn't want them to stay and they were constantly fighting and the Vikings couldn't take it anymore. This theory is more believable than the theory about them having trouble adapting to the climate because the climate was not much different from Scandinavia (it was still kind of cold there, too). I'm still wondering why Vikings traveled west - why didn't they travel in another direction?     - "Wifi"

I used to think that all Viking helmets had horns on them, but now I know that they actually didn't. I think the reason that the Vikings didn't stay very long in North America is that the resources and food were so different than what they were used to that they didn't know how to use them or hunt them and it made it hard for them to stay alive and eat healthy. I am still wondering how they could have been out exploring if they were supposed to be taking care of their farms.     - "Water"

I used to think that Vikings were the same thing as cavemen, but I now know that they are very different. I think the reason that the Vikings didn't stay very long in North America is that they had a hard time adapting to a place that they weren't planning on going to (because they landed in North America by accident). They weren't prepared for the weather or how to hunt for different food.  Something I am wondering about is where the Vikings stayed the longest.      - "Ritzi"

I think the reason that the Vikings didn't stay very long in North America is that they had a tough time adapting to the new and cold land. The land features made it very hard for them to grow crops. I wonder how many Viking longships sank in the Atlantic Ocean. 
  - "Mango" 

I used to think that all Vikings were bad people, but now I know that most of them were actually peaceful people just looking for new places to settle and farm. I think the reason that the Vikings didn't stay very long in North America is that the Ice Age made it very difficult for them to sail between North America and Europe because it might be difficult to navigate in frozen water and icebergs. I'm still wondering why some of the Vikings thought it was okay to take other people's belongings.     - "Fia" 


No comments:

Post a Comment

We're Banking On It!

  By now, you've probably heard the buzz about our classroom economy. It's certainly been one of the most highlighted learning exper...