Sunday, January 16, 2022

Shaking Things Up!

 

We're knee-deep into our investigation of plate tectonics and how seismic activity can be a powerful force in changing the landscape of our planet. Our discoveries naturally led to an earthquake engineering challenge where students were presented with an opportunity to design, create, and test a variety of structures that could potentially withstand an earthquake. We utilized real-life structural design strategies that would help minimize the effects of an earthquake, including cross-bracing, tapered geometry, and base isolation. This experience led to many interesting discoveries about structural engineering challenges in fault zones. Students were later asked to analyze their data from the test phase of the challenge and drew conclusions about which materials and structural techniques offered the most successful outcomes. Look out world - we've got some future civil engineers ready to roll up their sleeves and relocate to the San Andreas fault zone. This week's guest bloggers share their engineering experiences. Enjoy. 

If I were to build a structure near a fault zone, I would probably use base isolation underground so that the energy from an earthquake could be transferred to the base instead of the structure. The materials I would use would be wood and steel and I would use the cross-bracing technique to make the structure sturdy. It may not look pretty, but I think it would withstand an earthquake!  - @PickleKitty

If I had to build a structure in an area of a fault zone, I would make the base out of concrete and use the base isolation technique so that the base is actually separate from the structure. I would make the walls out of wood and use steel to cross-brace all of the walls in the structure. All of these reinforcements would make a strong structure.  - @NonCat

If I were to build a structure in a fault zone, I would use steel and wood because those materials are flexible. I would use wood for the frame and steel for cross-bracing.  - @G-Money

If I were to build a structure in an area of a fault zone, I would use steel cross-braces so that it is sturdy. Under the structure, I would use base isolation to reinforce the base so that my structure does not fall. At the top of my structure, I would use tapered geometry so that my structure isn't top-heavy.  -@Cheeto111

If I were to build a structure in a fault zone area, I would use the best materials and techniques possible, depending on the type of structure. For example, if I was building a bridge, I would use steel and cross-bracing for extra reinforcement.   -@Elizabeth_Schuyler

If I were to build a structure in an area of a fault zone, I would use flexible materials that could move and bend with the movement of the earth. I would also use cross-bracing for reinforcement and tapered geometry so the structure would stay balanced.  - @GoatLover







No comments:

Post a Comment

We're Banking On It!

  By now, you've probably heard the buzz about our classroom economy. It's certainly been one of the most highlighted learning exper...