Friday, March 8, 2024

Young Voters In Training


Students in The Hive have spent the last couple of weeks learning about the U.S. election process, with a particular focus on the presidential election primaries and general election processes. It was an exciting and memorable couple of weeks leading up to Super Tuesday. We hope it sparked some interesting and meaningful conversations around your dinner tables. We can tell you that the spark was surely alive in our classroom!

Learning about the U.S. election process is crucial for fostering civic responsibility, understanding government structure, and developing critical thinking. It equips our youngest generation with the knowledge of their rights and duties within a democratic society, encouraging them to become active participants in their communities. Through this education, students learn the importance of voting and how elections impact their lives, promoting an early appreciation for their role in democracy - for their role in our Consitutional Republic. Discussions around elections and governance introduce students to diverse perspectives, nurturing respect for differing opinions and the value of dialogue. This foundational education not only prepares them to be informed voters but also instills a sense of duty towards participation in democratic processes. By connecting classroom learning with real-world events, it also enhances their interest and awareness of national affairs, laying the groundwork for a lifetime of engaged and responsible citizenship.
Students not only actively participated in our deep classroom discussions, posing some thoughtful questions and ideas of their own, but they also enjoyed a tour of the primary election polls at the Boxford town hall just before Super Tuesday AND participated in a mock primary election in our classroom. We asked students to reflect on our discussions and their experiences for this week's blog. We think you'll agree that their reflections demonstrate a healthy curiosity and the beginnings of active civic engagement. For some students, learning about the election process has even inspired a potential future in public service or political leadership!

It's important for U.S. citizens over the age of 18 to vote because then they have a voice to be heard. Voting is a way for citizens to be heard together. It's important to vote in all elections! - @Rosita

It is important for U.S. citizens over the age of 18 to vote in ALL elections. It's like saying you want to have a say in what happens in our country. If you don't vote, you will probably be very mad or sad and you might regret it. If you vote, you'll be proud and people will recognize you as a responsible citizen. - @YesSir

It is important for U.S. citizens over the age of 18 to vote in all elections because voting is your voice. Voting allows you to have a say in things. If you don't vote, you are basically giving away some of our rights and freedom. The candidate that you vote for should represent you in some way. Voting matters and whoever gets elected could affect you and your life. - @Loondog1

I learned that the presidents can only serve two terms (eight years total). - @Sweetie

It is important for U.S. citizens over the age of 18 to vote because it is very important to decide who gets elected to a particular office. If you don't have a say in that, then there could be a very bad president, mayor, or other official. If I was elected to office, I would make it so that schools could have more lunch options. - @Avocado234

I'm not too sure I would ever run for a government office, but if I did, it would probably be for mayor. I know most people would rant to run for President, but running for President is a big commitment and I'm not sure if I would be the right person for that job. A mayor's job isn't as big of a job as President, but I could still do good things. - @BlueBear

It is important to vote because if you do not vote, then you cannot be upset with the people that win. Every vote matters in every way even if you don't see it. - @Milly-Milly

I wonder why you have to be at least eighteen years old to vote. Why are there several political parties. Why do they elect a president every four years? Who decides that? - @Roxy4Life

Have you ever thought that your vote doesn't matter? Well, every vote matters and it matters very much. Voting is how we get good leaders to represent us. - @PotatoHead

I believe that we should have a primary election and a general election, but NOT an electoral college. First, let's say that everyone in a state voted one way and their delegates voted differently. That makes the peoples' vote not matter! Having our votes matter is the main point of our election process. I think our presidential elections should be based on the popular vote. - @PizzaPie

I would love to run for office - specifically President of the United States. I would like to be the first female president and support women's rights. I would also work to improve our education and public areas - taking good care of parks, lakes and our oceans. Finally, I would also work with farms to grow and harvest the best food possible. - DollyParton101

I have learned that U.S. citizens over the age of 18 can vote. I also learned that in a presidential election, we actually cast a ballot for who we want to be nominated. It's the delegates that actually select the nominee. Our vote is not really a vote. Yep, it's true! It's not fair because we aren't directly voting for our president. - @SecretGuy

If I was of age, I would most definitely run for President of the United States. Our country has a lot of problems and most of them have easy solutions. Drug dealers sneaking into the country? Build super hubs along the border to have every immigrant checked. This will lower the crime rate. Debt problems? Stop printing money that we don't have and lower spending to pay it off. - @ApplePie

I would want to run for President because I want to improve schools and kids' education. If we do this, the U.S. will have the highest IQ rank in the world. I would fill schools with the latest technology. - @PotatoPie

I would like to run for office because, to me, a lot of decisions that are being made are unfair and downright bad, like some of the decisions our leaders are making about taxes. Also, I would like to turn gas-powered cars and stop people from polluting to make this country a better place and then maybe other countries will do the same. - @Imadog697

I would love to run for President! I would help keep people safe and make rules to keep people healthy. - @HockeyGirl14

Something I've learned that's interesting has to do with electoral votes. I never knew that you're not actually voting, you're technically casting a ballot for a candidate - asking a delegate to vote for that person. I also learned that whoever earns at least 270 electoral votes wins the general election. I think that's totally confusing and they should just go by the popular vote. - @Ribbet

I think everyone should be able to vote when they turn ten years old. I also think that our presidential election should be by popular vote. - @PumpkinPie

It is important for U.S. citizens over the age of 18 to vote in all elections because it is our right to vote and a privilege that was gifted to us by our country's founders. If no one voted in our elections, then some random person would be chosen and that person might be bad and want to destroy our country. I hope I have convinced you to get into that voting booth and VOTE! - @Ruffffffff

I would not want to run for office because I would be stressed and responsible for a lot and that is just not how I would want to live in my older years. - @SODA

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're Banking On It!

  By now, you've probably heard the buzz about our classroom economy. It's certainly been one of the most highlighted learning exper...