Friday, November 8, 2019

Connecting the Past With the Present

As we embark on our learning journey through the early civilizations of North America, we explored how Native Americans lived and worked together in families and communities.  Concern and respect for others, particularly elders in the family and community, was central to their daily life. Elders in ancient Native American communities played an important role in sharing knowledge, wisdom, and an understanding of people and the world around them through strong oral tradition and storytelling. To help make this topic relevant, we explored how we might connect the past with the present. Learners paid tribute to the elders in our own community, gaining new respect and empathy for the wisdom these elders can share with us as we navigate through life. 

As an entry event to a much-anticipated project-based learning experience, we invited some familiar elders into our classroom to share their own wisdom and life lessons with us. Momo and Grandma were gracious enough to share with us stories of their journeys through life and important lessons they've learned along the way. We were all ears.

As our learners reflect on these experiences, they are beginning to understand the true value they find in the relationships each of them has with elders in their own families and the positive influence they are having in their lives. Here are some of our learners' reflections:

What I respect and admire most about my aunt is that she has very good life lessons to share. I try to follow her example and try to remember what she told me about her life in the past. My aunt is special to me because her wisdom and advice helps me to feel like I have someone who is supporting and motivating me.   - "Glisten"


What I respect and admire most about Bradley is that she is very kind and encourages me to try new things. My aunt is special to me because her wisdom and advice helps me get better at stuff and to solve big problems.    - "Lam"

What I respect and admire most about my mom is how kind and truthful she is and how she is always there when I need her. My mom is special to me because her wisdom and advice helps me know what to do and to not make the same mistakes that she might have made in the past.     - "Mango"

What I respect and admire most about my agong is that he has his own publishing company and writes the most wonderful poems about the different people in my family and extended family. The poems are very meaningful to my family and me. My agong is special to me because his wisdom and advice helps me with my writing because I get more sophisticated words from his writing and poems (including the word 'sophisticated').  - Tazer

What I respect and admire most about my papa is that he is always healthy and actually pretty strong considering he is in his 60s. Every day he goes to the gym and he looks very young for his age. My papa is special to me because his wisdom and advice helps me know that someone can be very active at a somewhat old age. He also tells me that if you are very active, you can be happier and have more energy.    - "Cat"

What I respect and admire most about my grandfather is that he was a math teacher in college. He is special to me because his wisdom and advice helps me to become a better learner and teaches me some important lessons.    - "Champ"

What I respect and admire most about Bella is that she knows a lot about history and often tells me stories that I always enjoy. Sometimes she likes to tell me about very important life lessons. Bella is special to me because her wisdom and advice helps me not to make the same mistakes that she did when she was younger. For example, she had a lot of trouble with division, so she told me a rhyme she remembered from 6th grade to help me.     - "Clover"

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're Banking On It!

  By now, you've probably heard the buzz about our classroom economy. It's certainly been one of the most highlighted learning exper...