Friday, December 3, 2021

Planning Your Next Vacation?


This post follows an earlier one about our experience with the online video editing platform, WeVideo. 

Over the last couple of weeks, students have been learning about the geography of North America. Specifically, they were tasked with researching and analyzing the countries of Canada and Mexico as it relates to the people, culture, environment, resources, and landmarks. The driving question: What is important about the geography of these locations and what might draw people to live or vacation there? 

In an effort to help our students develop important twenty-first-century literacy skills (including media literacy), we asked students to use their knowledge and understanding of the countries they were researching and analyzing in order to produce a travel/tourism video that communicates the important aspects of these countries' geographical features and why these countries would be ideal locations to live, work, or vacation to (appealing aspects about the climate, resources, culture, land/water features).

When we told our students that we'd be integrating a WeVideo production to help facilitate their connections to this content, their motivation and engagement skyrocketed. The critical analysis that was required in order to evaluate the most optimal features of video media in order to effectively communicate their messages, added an authentic component to an already complex task of mastering disciplinary knowledge. They navigated this learning experience with such enthusiasm and focus and the results were pretty amazing. We think you will enjoy them, too (you'll actually find them at the end of this post). This week's guest bloggers reflect on their experiences. Enjoy.

Something that I am proud of in my video production is how much effort I put into it and how much fun it was to make a real travel advertisement. Something I could do differently next time is manage my time better. I didn't really have a lot of time to finish my video because it was more difficult to do this than I thought.   -@Elizabeth_Schuyler

One thing that I liked about my video production was that the background music ended in the just the right place. One thing that I would have done differently is incorporate more transitions because I saw in other people's videos how it can really help. Overall, I think my video is good but with a few tweaks, it could be even better.    - @Cheeto111

One thing that I am proud of in my video production are the images that I chose. Some things that I would do differently next time is not let the music volume take over my voiceover. Also, my voiceover sounded really choppy. I will need to practice more next time.   - @Kiwi222

I would just like to say that each and every video production was very good. One strong point about my video was the fluency in my voiceover. On the other hand, I would like to improve on the way I select my images.    - @Pineapple

As a video producer in The Hive, we all have our ups and downs. One of my ups were the images that I used in my production. They fit the scenes very well. One of my downs was that I tripped on my words a lot and I had some trouble pronouncing words. Even though there were some ups and downs, it was very fun!    -@EarthySmurf

One thing I feel good about in my video is my voiceover (if I'm being really honest). Something that I could do differently next time would be choosing the right pictures to go with my voiceover.   - @Blocky

Making my travel commercial was really fun! There definitely were things that I LOVED about my video production and things that I didn't love so much. One example of something that I really like about my production (prepare the tooting horn) was the background music. I think that I got the selection and volume just right. Something I could improve on was my voiceover. Next time I'll practice more before I record it so that it's smooth and not so choppy.    - @M&M 

Something that I was proud of in my video production was how I kept the videos and images on the screen for just the perfect amount of time. That is always so important. One thing that I could improve on for next time is adding background music. After seeing everyone else's productions, I regretted not adding background music to mine.     - @Ham

One thing I feel good about in my video production are the pictures I used because even if I didn't have a voiceover, the pictures would explain everything. One thing I think I could improve on is my background music selection because in this production, my music didn't really match my video.   - @Lonnie

One thing that I am proud of about my video is my voiceover because I think it sounded pretty smooth. Something that I could improve on is being more specific when I am choosing pictures in the search bar.    - @G-Money

One thing that I am proud of in my video production is that the pictures that I used stayed on the screen long or short enough for the audience to stay interested. One thing I could improve on next time is my voiceover. I could have talked slower, louder, and more calmly.      - @Koala333

One thing that I felt good about in my video production was my background music choice. I thought it went well with the culture of Mexico. Something I think I could do better next time is making the pictures on the screen match my voiceover.    -@Venom

Some things that I am proud of in my video production are my voiceover and the amount of information I had in my script (voiceover). One thing I could have done differently is to pick better background music.    - @WowWriter

Dear Mom & Dad, 

After researching and learning about the geography of Canada and Mexico, we have fallen in love with these beautiful and culturally diverse countries. We'd love for you to consider taking us on a vacation to one of these amazing destinations one day. Maybe after watching our travel/tourism ads you'll fall in love, too. 

With love,

Students in The Hive

P.S. A link to our travel/tourism videos can be found below

https://www.wevideo.com/hub#playlist/2475534515

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're Banking On It!

  By now, you've probably heard the buzz about our classroom economy. It's certainly been one of the most highlighted learning exper...