Monday, November 21, 2022

Geology Rocks!

Students have spent the last few weeks exploring our changing Earth, interpreting patterns of change over time as related to the deposition and erosion in landscape formation, earthquakes and volcanoes in the creation of landforms, and exploring some of today's landscapes to provide evidence for past processes. We welcomed a guest speaker from the Plum Island Foundation into The Hive to chat with us about some of the issues Plum Island is facing in terms of erosion and sand management as well as mitigation measures they are taking to protect the beach, jetties, and sand dunes. One way we've been able to increase student engagement and responsibility for this aspect of the curriculum is through science exploration stations. They have been a great way to encourage students to become active participants in their learning, make new discoveries, ask questions, experiment, think critically, and explain their reasoning all while moving them toward greater ownership and agency. Science exploration stations allow students to take deep dives into science content and discover the relevancy of science within the world around them. 

This week's guest bloggers reflect on what they have learned so far about our changing Earth and what they are still curious about. It's that curiosity that will be the driving force behind their desire to continue to explore science in the world around them outside the walls of our classroom. Enjoy.

One new thing I have learned is that the theory of plate tectonics tells us that plates can open up and magma can come through the crust, forming volcanoes. I also learned that ice can break down rock and glaciers can move it!  - @Zombiecat126

One new thing I learned has to do with the theory of plate tectonics and that there may be plates under Earth's crust. They all have names and they are moving all the time, even as you read this. They move very slowly so you can't feel them moving. They can move away from one another, move toward each other, and slide past each other. This movement can cause earthquakes, volcanoes to erupt, landslides, and more. I also learned that some scientists believe that the continents used to all be one giant continent called Pangea before they drifted apart, but I don't really understand how they actually broke apart.    - @Sunflower

One new thing I learned about landforms is how earthquakes and volcanoes happen. I'm still wondering how the continents actually drifted apart. They seem too strong to do that.    - @RockHam

One new thing I learned about is that Mt. Everest is getting taller by about a quarter of an inch every year because the plates underneath it are always converging, causing the mountain to get taller. I'm still wondering about how we know that plate tectonics are actually real because no one has ever actually seen them.    - @dragonfire56

I learned that when a volcano erupts, some of the gases it releases can be toxic. When Mt. Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD, a lot of people died not just because of the hot lava, but also because they were breathing in toxic gases produced by the volcano.    - @MaisyPaisy

I learned that the inner core of Earth is very, very hot. It is hotter than the sun and everyone knows that the sun is extremely hot. The inner core is surrounded by the outer core, then the mantle, and then the crust. I'm still wondering how the crust is so hard because the mantle is also very hot and wouldn't the crust just melt over it?    - @cheerqueen

I learned that there is a theory that explains how mountains are formed - it's when tectonic plates crash together. This type of movement is called convergent.    - @BooksRule

One thing that I learned about landforms is that mountains are likely formed when tectonic plates collide with each other. I wonder why the tectonic plates don't melt on the mantle.    - @BobMcPickleson

One new thing that I have learned is that earthquakes and some u-shaped valleys are probably caused by tectonic plate movement (if the theory is actually true) I'm still curious about why there are so many volcanic eruptions underwater and which ones are so large that they might be building a new continent.     - @FireDragon5

I learned that sand dunes have bushes and grass in them because the bushes and grass will stop the dunes from weathering and eroding. I am still curious about why magma doesn't pop out when a big earthquake occurs since sometimes it causes a gap.     - @JerrysApples

I learned that landforms are theorized to be caused by tectonic plates sliding against each other, going toward each other, and pushing apart from each other. I wonder how scientists know about all of this if they can't see them.   - @Seafoam-da-SeaWing

One new thing that I learned is that Pompei was destroyed by a volcano in 79 AD, which before this, I didn't even know was a year. I had a lot of fun learning about volcanoes. I still wonder how tectonic plates actually move and why we don't usually feel it or see it happening.   - @SoftballPiggy

One new thing I learned is that wind and water aren't the only things that shape the land, but plate tectonic movement can create landforms, too. Take a mountain, for example. Mountains are caused by tectonic plates colliding and pushing up the earth's crust. The whole theory about tectonic plates is very interesting, but I'm just a kid and I may learn more about it when I'm a grown-up.    - @WritingGod

I learned that canyons were formed by wind and water eroding rock. I also learned that on Plum Island, the sand dunes were made to protect the beach. I'm curious about what would happen if most of the houses on Plum Island were to get destroyed by the erosion problem. What would happen to the people who live in them?     - @chickennugget

One new thing that I've learned is that earthquakes happen more often along a fault line. For example, California has a fault line that goes from northern to southern California, and a lot of earthquakes happen there. I still don't understand how volcanoes and underwater volcanoes form. It's very confusing, but I want to give a shout-out to @Sunflower who helped me better understand the process of weathering, erosion, and deposition.    - @LightningDragon

Usually, Earth isn't something I would've been interested in learning about, but I think I've changed my mind. At least for now. I used to think that the way landforms are now was the way that they have always been. For example, I thought that Mt. Everest was always the height it is now. I was wrong. I now know that landforms are always changing and that Mt. Everest grows less than a quarter of an inch each year due to the tectonic plates that sit below the crust of the earth on hot magma. I'm still curious about how scientists know where the tectonic plate boundaries are. That question has left me blank for days and days and I still don't have a clue about it. Maybe I never will.     - @writingmachine



No comments:

Post a Comment

We're Banking On It!

  By now, you've probably heard the buzz about our classroom economy. It's certainly been one of the most highlighted learning exper...